(Caution — Involves a good amount of cursing and unlady like language.)
It’s been a few days since the bombing during the 2013 Boston Marathon. It’s giving me time to calm down and breathe. When such horrific things happen I tend to jump right to hatred. It’s my go to emotion. I become furious and want to scream from a mountain top, “what the hell is wrong with you people … why are you all such assholes … you ARE NOT allowed to hurt other human beings …. YOU ARE not allowed to kill other human beings.” Explain to me how this is so fucking complicated that it can’t stick into some freaks brains????? It just absolutely throws me for a loop. When I saw the news reports my first thought was, “This is some fucked up jackass from our own country. Some twat who can’t understand what he has done. A mentally ill fucktard who should have been taken out of society years ago.” (My hatred obviously includes an increase in cursing.) Honestly I don’t care who did. Whatever the reason it wasn’t a good one … BECAUSE THERE IS NO GOOD REASON.
Needless to say I know I’m preaching to the choir so I will stop. I try to pull back from anger and channel my inner Mr. Rodgers (seriously can this guy do no wrong) and embrace his now, thanks to the media and the internet, famous quote, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” If I stop being angry I can see all the people who have helped those that were hurt in the bombing, not to mention those who are strong and will be dealing with the after effects for the rest of their lives. I wanted to bring you some ways that you and I, non-Bostonians, could help.
Unfortunately, back to my original thinking, some people are assholes and there have been a number of scam Twitter and Facebook pages put in place to either get money or attention from those who want to help. Never give money unless you are positive the organization you are giving too is real. Sometimes this is hard to prove so please be very careful. Even if money isn’t involved be cautious of your clicks. “Likes” and followers to a social media or internet page helps increase the value of the virtual real estate. Don’t let those asshats fool you into giving them your support. It’s really easy to steal a logo (like I did for this post) and make up a page.
That being said here are a few things I have found that may be helpful. Even though I have posted it still research on your own before supporting. I like to pretend I’m perfect but let’s face it …. I’m not.
* Adidas continues to prove they are the classier of the two major sport apparel companies (yes I did take this moment to place a dig at Nike). As one of the marathon’s sponsors they have launched a limited edition shirt. 100% of the proceeds go to The One Fund Boston, Inc. The shirt is promoted by the Boston Marathon itself so it’s a safe bet. http://www.adidas.com/us/boston-tribute-tee/_/N-1z125b0
* You can also donate directly to The One Fund Boston at their website. http://onefundboston.org/
* Gofundme.com is a great crowdfunding site to help raise money for a cause. There are a number of sites that have been set up for individuals and families affected by the bombings. Just be careful and try to check that they are truly what they say before donating.
* The Salvation Army is always a good place to go to help. They have a Boston emergency fund set up that you can donate to online. https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/massachusetts/bostonmarathonrelief
* You already know the American Red Cross always can use your help to help others. http://www.redcross.org/
* The Boston Marathon itself says it is going to secure a place for donations. Keep an eye on their Facebook page for that info when it becomes available.
Let’s face it, Boston isn’t the only place that needs our help. The world is proving itself to be really sucky this week. The massive explosion at a fertilizer plant in North Texas near Waco hurt that small town really bad. Casualties include first responders and homes near the plant are gone. It’s being reported that up to 15 people have died with many more injured. I don’t have any info on safe ways to help these folks but I’m sure there are many. Please share if you have thoughts.
Finally, a quick message to the jackass who sent a poison laced letter to the president. What the fuck is wrong with you? I mean besides the obvious that you need to be on serious mental stabilizing medicine (no judgement on that … I’ll send you some of mine if it will help). Being mentally unstable is one thing but being stupid is another. Did you REALLY think the president opens his own mail? That he sits at his desk in the Oval Office with his feet on his desk and casual goes through the mail that came in that day? “Blah, another electric bill. These people need to learn to turn off the lights.” “Looks like the presidential car needs to be serviced.” “Ooh this one looks interesting, I think I’ll use my official shiny presidential letter opener for this one, cough, gag … oh no …” I MEAN REALLY WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING?????
If you know other ways to help those hurt this week please share with us!